Spring Happenings and Doodles


Catching up, fresh start for 2016

I am a bit behind for posting! After a busy fall, and a great holiday season, I decided to take a break from social media and my studio in January and February. Heading into March, I am itchy to start making new things and am trying to resist the urge to smash all the pots still sitting in my porch shop. That would be silly, as I only recently picked up new glaze pieces that were left behind at Mudflat! (and I love them!) Here are some images that ended my year, including what may have been my last Holiday Open House with Blue Hoot! (sad!)





a summer recap

It’s been a very full summer, in the studio and out! Almost time to say goodbye, but not quite yet… I plan on working outside for as long as I can. And make another ice cream cake, or two. 😉

it’s not about the berries

It was probably less than 5 years ago when I decided to start selling my pottery. It was exactly four years ago this weekend that I set up my tables and tent for the first time at the Strawberry Festival in Westford. I was reminded of how much Lemonbee has grown since then…thanks to several genuinely sweet and loyal, returning customers. I am so grateful for the support of this community, on that day four years ago when I put myself out there for all to see, and for every year since!

Thanks for loving Lemonbee…

March, April and a little bit of May



the snow has made me lazy…100 bowls challenge Day 6

and then I ran out of clay! Pausing at 85. Once I started throwing up to 3 pounds of clay, I knew I wasn’t going to be able to finish with the recycled clay I had left. This will give me time to trim all the bowls hiding under plastic and make room for the last 15 bowls to complete the challenge. I am going to need a lot more clay to finish what I started…

the snow has made me lazy…100 bowls challenge Day 5, and some thoughts on trimming!

Adding 18 brings the total to 64…maybe I shouldn’t have taken Friday off! 2 more days to go…


Some people love this stage. I do not! Making, yes. Adding buttons, or carving into a leather hard form, yes. Firing the greenware, unloading a bisque kiln, love. Waxing and glazing absolutely. But turning a pot over and trimming it is bottom of the list. It is an essential step, and can take almost as much time to trim as it did to throw it. And it makes a HUGE mess on my basement floor, which is one of the reasons it bothers me so much. I love to procrastinate, but then you have to be careful not to let them get too dry otherwise all that throwing is for nothing! So throwing a 100 bowls in a week also means trimming a 100 bowls too…what was I thinking?!

the snow has made me lazy…100 bowls challenge Day 3 & 4

Day 3: I threw 13 small bowls, starting at 3/4 pound but then increased it to a pound for the last half thrown. After I cleaned up for the day, I went back to photograph and saw the pile of clean tools sitting on the still dirty wheel. Can’t clean everything every time!

Day 4: The day was quite broken up: an hour before school, squeezed in a half hour after school and before pick-up, and snuck in another hour or so before dinner (that never happens!). I increased to 1 1/4 pounds for each, and had to wedge a lot more recycled clay before I could throw. With the larger size I decided I should alter a few more, especially the taller ones I plan on carving once they set up and are trimmed.



the snow has made me lazy…100 bowls challenge Day 2

With the morning delay I had some extra time to warm up the studio and throw for an hour. This time I used 3/4 pound balls of clay, and made 11 bowls before I had to clean up and go to work. Two things I noticed…it is hard for me to NOT alter the round bowl shape, so after the first four I decided I wasn’t allowed to do anymore of this set. The second was that structurally these bowls felt better – and I didn’t want to crash them as much as I wanted to crash yesterday’s bowls!


The snow has made me lazy…100 bowls challenge Day 1

I only had two hours today, and some of that was spent reorganizing the neglected studio, and throwing in a load of laundry, of course. I decided I needed to give myself an assignment after a failed attempt at making some new forms last week. It’s been hard to get motivated, the main reason being the basement is freezing! The heater works hard but it takes a lot of time and energy to make it tolerable. Especially in the morning. On top of that, the little but lovely natural light that came from the windows is gone. They are all completely covered in the snow.


I started with half pound balls of clay, and will most likely add to that as I get in a few days. Small bowls, simple, altered, whatever shape they may take. My goal is to make 100 in a week. After about an hour of throwing I ended up with 10 imperfect little bowls that I would love to crash. I altered a few, and left the rest to set up. The next 10 will be better.


Here are some of my favorite stamps I used to sprig some buttons.